Studies have shown that multitasking almost always results in crappy work and unhappy people. Every evening, in House Management’s kitchen, our n=1 experiment validates those results. Here is a list of things you asked Management during the three and a half minutes it took to get your dinner on the table tonight:
- Can we build a rocket ship, with real wood and screws, right now?
- Can we build just a little bit of a rocket ship, with real wood and screws, right now?
- Can I paint?
- Can I do watercolors?
- Can I have some more yogurt?
- Can I have some candy?
- Did you know Nathaniel doesn’t like ice cream?
- Why doesn’t Nathaniel like ice cream?
- Do you like ice cream?
- Can I go poop?
- Will you watch me go poop?
- Will you wipe me?
- Will you come stand next to me?
- Will you snuggle me?
- What is that?
- Why are you pouring so much wine?
- Where are you going?
This list is the primary reason House Management has completely given up on cooking, and prefers meals that only involve heating. I hope you like frozen peas.